If you’re new to cruising with Disney, a huge highlight of both Bahamian and Caribbean itineraries is the stop made at Disney’s private island Castaway Cay. This island, exclusively for the use of Disney Cruise Line guests, is a tropical paradise with white sandy beaches, private cabanas, water play areas and boasts a ton of fantastic activities. In fact there is so much on offer at Castaway Cay that its hard to keep up with it all. That’s why we decided to compile this list of 8 fun things you may not have known about Castaway Cay!
1. Food and beverage on the island is included in your cruise fare. This is one that seems to surprise a lot of first time cruisers. Disney has a few eateries at Castaway Cay. Here you you’ll find Cookies BBQ and Cookies Too BBQ and another BBQ spot on Serenity Bay. Guests can head to these locations, stock up on delicious eats and it doesn’t cost a thing! Its one of the many ways Disney makes you feel extra pampered on your cruise. Guests should note however that there is a charge for alcoholic beverages.
2. Your Key to the World Card works on the island. All guests cruising with Disney are given a Key to the World Card. This functions a little bit like a MagicBand (for those Walt Disney World visitors that are considering cruising for the first time.) You can use them on board to pay for souvenirs and other items not covered under the cruise. But when you dock, don’t leave these cards behind as you can also use them while at Castaway Cay making purchasing on the island super convenient.
3. You can run a 5K anytime of year. For those who missed the runDisney races or are just looking for a fun way to exercise while on the island, you can sign up for the Castaway Cay 5K. This wildly popular offering provides a family friendly, non-competitive 3.1 mile jaunt around Disney’s magnificent island. Though the race isn’t timed, everyone who completes the 5K gets a medal as a keepsake. For more details on the race including how to sign up, check out this article.
4. You’ll find characters around every corner. While at Castaway Cay, you’re never to far away from the Disney magic. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and friends can be found scattered about the island and are happy to pose for photographs or sign an autograph or two. Be on the lookout for them in high traffic areas. Half the fun of being at Castaway Cay is seeing how many Disney pals you can bump in to.
5. There’s a special “Adults Only” beach. Serenity Bay is an absolute haven for adults cruising with Disney that want to avoid the hustle and bustle of the more high traffic family friendly areas. On Serenity Bay guests can do everything from indulge in an early morning yoga class to renting a cabana or having a massage. Or for those who prefer a slower pace there’s ample room to find your perfect spot and lounge in the sun! You’ll be amazed at how quiet and secluded this area feels.
6. There is a Post Office on the island. How cool is the thought of sending out a postcard from Disney’s secluded tropical paradise? You can do it at Castaway Cay. There is an official Bahamian Post Office located directly on the island. Pick up a postcard and mail it out to a loved one and they’ll receive an official Castaway Cay postmark!
7. It’s the only place to get exclusive Castaway Cay souvenirs. If you’re looking for that special item to remember your time at Castaway Cay, you’ll want to get it while on the island. Head on over to Castaway Keepsakes for special themed merchandise. And just like at Walt Disney World, if you don’t feel like lugging around your purchases all day, you can opt to have them sent up to the ship for you!
8. You can tour the island by bike. For those that are up for it, one of the best ways to enjoy Castaway Cay is by bike. This 1,000 acre island has amazing bicycle trails allowing you to venture off-the-beaten path to explore the sights and sounds of this amazing island retreat. Just be on the lookout for the Bike Rentals stand when arriving on the island to pick up your bike. You can ride along the island’s airstrip, take your pick between 2 nature trails and even climb a secluded observation tower for amazing panoramic views of the island.
So what are you waiting for? Make your next family vacation a Disney Cruise and take advantage of all that this amazing island has to offer. We’ve only skimmed the service when it comes to fantastic adventures that you can have at Castaway Cay. Come and see for yourself!
Thinking about heading out on your first Disney Cruise? Fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking your next Disney holiday with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you plot out your perfect holiday, work with you to come up with unique ways to make your holiday truly your own, and make sure that you are always getting the best deals and discounts (even after you’ve booked.) Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
Latest posts by Melissa Roden (see all)
- 10 Things Those Planning a 2018 Walt Disney World Vacation Should Know - December 11, 2017
- 5 Things We Learned This Week About Disney’s New Gondola System - December 11, 2017
- 5 Reasons Why We Love Storybook Circus at Magic Kingdom - December 10, 2017