It’s Oscar night and with A Wrinkle In Time slated to open in less than a week, we here at Disney Addicts thought we’d break away from convention to share with you 9 incredible films that are expected to be released by Disney over the rest of the year. Covering everything from the latest Marvel films to long-awaited sequels of animated classics to a new entry in the Star Wars franchise, we know that we’ll be spending a lot of time at our local cinema over the next ten months.
1. A Wrinkle In Time – March 9, 2018 – (pictured above) The excitement is building over Disney’s adaptation of the much-loved Madeline L’Engle classic. The plot of the story revolves around a teenager Meg (played by Storm Reid) who is trying to find her father (played by Chris Pine) after he has gone missing. In order to track him down, Meg has enlisted the help of three supernatural beings: Mrs Who (Mindy Kaling), Mrs. Whatsit (Reese Witherspoon), and Mrs. Which (Oprah Winfrey). Meg is transported through a tesseract by the three beings who create a Wrinkle in time and space. Ana Duvernay is in the director’s seat and Jennifer Lee (who wrote Frozen) penned the script.
2. Avengers: Infinity War – May 4, 2018 – With more Marvel characters than we can possibly count and a trailer that has already racked up an impressive 145 Million Views we thought we’d let this clip do the talking. Let’s just say that it may only be March but the excitement around the release of this film at Disney Addicts HQ is already reaching fever pitch!
3. Solo – May 25, 2018 – May sees another massive release for Disney, this time with the latest installment in the Star Wars franchise simply dubbed Solo. The film is expected to offer an in-depth exploration of the iconic Star Wars scoundrel and everyone’s favorite Wookie. The action takes place before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope, including the duo’s early encounters with Lando Calrissian.
Check out the official teaser trailer here:
Solo drew headlines when creative team Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were released from the project (very near the completion date) and Ron Howard jumped in to wrap up the project. The film stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, Thandie Newton, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, with Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca.
4. The Incredibles 2 — June 15, 2018 – This is the first of two long-awaited sequels that should have Disney fans pretty excited in 2018. The Parr family will be back in action, this time to thwart the evil plans of Syndrome played by Jason Lee. Most of the original voice actors will be returning for this exciting project including Craig T. Nelson as Bob, Holly Hunter as Helen, Sarah Vowell as Violet and Samuel L. Jackson as Frozone. Huck Milner will be replacing Spencer Fox as Dash. During last year’s D23 convention, Disney announced that the film will feature state-of-the-art animation while still adhering to the classic look that fans fell in love with. Disneyland in Anaheim will also be celebrating the release of the film with the new Incredicoaster at the soon-to-be-updated Paradise Pier area of the park which will be renamed Pixar Pier.
5. Ant-Man and The Wasp – July 6, 2018 – Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Peña, Academy Award® winner Michael Douglas, Bobby Cannavale, Judy Greer, Abby Ryder Fortson, Tip “T.I.” Harris, and David Dastmalchian will be back this Summer in the last installment of Marvel’s Ant-Man franchise. In the latest film, Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) struggles with the consequences of his choices as both Superhero and dad. Torn between his home life and responsibilities as Ant-Man he’s approached by Hope van Dyne (Lilly) and Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas) to embark on an urgent new mission. Scott must suit up once again with The Wasp at his side to uncover important secrets from their past.
6. Christopher Robin Project – August 3, 2018 – Little has been revealed about this upcoming project expected to focus on Christopher Robin’s visit back to Hundred Acre Wood as an adult. However, as of going to print, it would appear that it’s still in the cards. What we do know about the film is that it is being directed by Marc Forster and will star Ewan McGregor as Christopher Robin. We’ll definitely be keeping a watch for more details regarding Pooh and friends.
7. The Nutcracker and the Four Realms — November 2, 2018 – Details are slowly starting to trickle in regarding this exciting project slated to be released next November. The film stars Mackenzie Foy who plays Clara who is on a mission to retrieve a lost magical key that will open a gift from her mother. The quest sends her to incredible realms like the Land of Snowflakes, Land of Flowers and the Land of Sweets where she encounters the Sugar Plum Fairy who will be played by Keira Knightley. This leaves the Fourth Realm which is ruled by the fierce Mother Ginger (played by Helen Mirren). Fans of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker will be impressed with the score as well as a ballet sequence featuring Misty Copeland.
8. Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It-Ralph 2 – November 21, 2018 – The second long-overdue sequel to be released by Disney in 2018, John C. Reilly will return in his role as Wreck-It-Ralph who escapes the confines of his arcade game and ventures out into the internet. The film will also see Sarah Silverman, Jane Lynch and Jack McBrayer reprising their roles. Director Rich Moore had this to say about the project, ” “To take these characters we love and have them enter the enormous world of the internet has given us so much to explore. Our production team has been hard at work designing a world that takes something we all think we know – the internet – but shows it in a whole new, imaginative way.
9. Mary Poppins Returns — December 2018 – We round out the list with the second live-action adaptation. Mary Poppins Returns is slated to open in theaters just in time for the 2018 Christmas Season and will feature Emily Blunt in the lead role. The new film will take place 25 years after the original and during the economic hardships of the 1930’s. Michael Banks (played by Ben Whishaw) now lives in the original home with his family. When his wife passes away unexpectedly Michael must raise the three children on his own. It’s Mary to the rescue with the help of her friend Jack the lamplighter played by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The film is being directed by Oscar-winning director Rob Marshall.
There you have it! We are only two months in and already 2018 is shaping up to be an amazing year for Disney cinema. Keep following along with Disney Addicts and with our sister site Chip and Co. for the latest in Disney news and updates.
Thinking about a visit to Disney? Vacation packages are currently available to book through until the end of 2018. Read below to find out how to get your FREE quotes.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
Latest posts by Melissa Roden (see all)
- 7 Strategies for Managing Disneyland in the Rain - March 20, 2018
- 7 Delightful Ways to Celebrate Easter at Disney Springs - March 20, 2018
- When Can I Book Tickets for This Year’s Halloween and Christmas Parties? - March 19, 2018