If you’re thinking about heading to the Mouse for the first time in 2018 then chances are you’re having the great “Should I stay on-site or off-site debate.” Though there is certainly something to be said for the sometimes rock-bottom rates you can find at hotels in the Orlando area, there are several on-site perks of staying at a Walt Disney World resort that tend to even the score. So if you’re on the fence about staying at a Disney World resort, here’s our list of the 11 reasons why we think you’ll love staying right on Disney property.
1.Disney theming. If you want to really immerse yourself in the magic of Disney, there’s no better way then to stay at one of Disney’s 25 resorts. Where else can you swim with Nemo and friends, feel like your on an African Safari, stay in a Pirate Room or a Royal Guest room filled with Disney Princess touches? From the Cast Members that great you when you check in, to the Gift Shop piled high with Disney must-haves, there’s no doubt you’re in the middle of the Magic. Disney also offers 4 resort categories: Value, Moderate, Deluxe and Deluxe Villas and includes options for all tastes and budgets, making deciding where to stay as much fun as planning out your park days. For more information on the different resort categories check out this article.
2. Disney Resort Transportation. Imagine being able to leave your car parked at the resort and not have to worry about driving until the day you check-out. Each of the resorts at Walt Disney World offers transportation to the four theme parks, water parks as well as Disney Springs. Whether it’s by bus, boat, or monorail, when staying on site you do have the feeling that all of Walt Disney World being is at your doorstep. Also, not having to drive means not having to spend money on gas or parking which can really add up if you’re are staying further afield.
3. Free Parking. Speaking of parking, another fantastic cost-saving perk of staying at a Walt Disney World resort is the fact that as an on-site guest you do not need to pay for parking whether at the resorts or theme parks. This is often one of the first things I mention to guests having the on-site/off-site debate. Even though you might be saving bit by staying off-property if you chose to drive you can expect to pay anywhere between $20 – $35 a day to park depending on the size of your vehicle and whether or not you opt for a priority parking space. Visit the parks over 4 or 5 days and this quickly adds up.
4. On-going Savings. With most off-site resorts, or for those booking through sites like Expedia or Travelocity, once you book a reservation you’ve locked in your rate and it will stay the same no matter what other discounts are offered. However, for those opting to stay on-site and who book directly through Walt Disney World or a Disney Travel Agent, you are eligible to nab applicable discounts that might pop up for travel dates even after you’ve booked. So if you book tomorrow at full price but three months down the road a 25% room discount offer comes up, you may be able to nab it! For a list of currently running discounts check out this article.
5. Flexible payments with generous policies on cancellations and adjustments. One of the things I love most about staying onsite is the flexibility that comes with booking a Disney stay. First, let’s talk payment. For those booking a Walt Disney World Vacation Package, a deposit of only $200 is required to book your stay. The remaining balance isn’t due until 30 days before you are due to arrive at Disney but guests are free to make as many payments as you like in the interval. You pay when you want. For resort only stays, a deposit of a one-night stay is due up front with the remainder being due upon check-in.
Also, if you’ve booked a Walt Disney World vacation package but want to change your days, resort or dining plan, its no problem. Disney allows you to make changes without penalty during that 31-day window. So, there is peace of mind in knowing that if your plans or budgets change you may have options that don’t involve cancelling your vacation. But, if you do need to cancel, you’re also covered. Do so before final payment is due and you’re entitled to a full refund or within 5 days of your vacation if you have booked a room-only reservation.
6. Dining Plans – Disney’s three main Dining Plan options are a great way to make your vacation all-inclusive by pre-paying for your meals. If you book a Walt Disney World Vacation Package (eligibility may also include Military, DVC, Annual Passholder and Florida residents), depending on the plan, you’ll get to enjoy Counter Service and Table Service meals, delicious Disney snacks and also character dining experiences and dinner shows. Under the plans, you also get unlimited soft drinks, tea and coffee refills with your refillable resort mug. Also, each Walt Disney World resort comes with convenient dining options. From food courts and table service to gourmet restaurants, you may not need to travel too far from your resort room to enjoy Disney dining at its best.
7. Magical Express – By staying at a Walt Disney World resort, you get to take advantage of their complimentary airport transfer services. Magical Express is located right at Orlando International Airport with buses on stand-by waiting to whisk you away to your resort of choice. What makes this service even cooler is that they’ll send you special luggage tags allowing Cast Members to pick up your checked bags and transport them to your resort where they’ll show up in your room as if by magic. Depending on the airline that you fly, you may also be able to get your boarding pass printed at your resort and even check-in your bags there to save you the trouble when you get to the airport.
8. Extra Magic Hours. For onsite guests only, on select days, one of Disney World’s four theme parks will either open their gates early to resort guests only or stay open later in the evening. Known as Extra Magic Hours, this perk can be a great way to squeeze in some extra rides and attractions without the crazy crowds.
9. Ability to Book your FastPasses 60 days in advance. FastPasses are a perk that can be enjoyed by all guests both onsite and off. However, onsite guests have the option of being able to book their Fastpasses in advance, using My Disney Experience, 60 days before your vacation. Offsite guests currently must wait until the 30-day mark. This means that you get first dibs on the rides and times that you want rather than having to pick what’s left over. It definitely allows you to plan your days out in a way that you want!
10. Resort Activities – Each of Disney World’s onsite resort are absolutely brimming with fun activities for the whole family. At some resorts, you can decorate cupcakes or make your own Mickey Tie-dyed t-shirts. Most properties offer pool parties, evening campfires and movies under the stars. Some even offer character meet-and-greets, pirate cruises, tea parties, educational workshops and in the case of Animal Kingdom Lodge, a chance to see animals on the savannah using night vision goggles! Be sure to pick up a resort activity schedule when checking in and set aside some time to enjoy all your property has to offer.
11. Amazing Customer Service. Disney has a reputation for offering amazing customer service and nowhere is this more evidenced than by staying at a Walt Disney World resort. From the Cast Members that check you in and mousekeeping, to the ones greeting you each evening when you arrive back from a long day at the parks, there’s just something refreshing about knowing that Disney is there to take care of it all. In the off chance, should something be less than perfect with your Disney resort stay, the team at your resort will nearly always be quick to remedy the situation and send a bit of pixie dust your way.
These are just a handful of the many reasons why we here at Disney Addicts think onsite is best. But, don’t take our word for it. Book your 2018 Walt Disney World Resort stay and find out for yourself!
Considering a visit to Disney? Fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote.
Why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you get the best discounts for your Disney World vacation package, assist with making dining, Fastpass and Christmas Party reservations and can even help you plan an itinerary filled with extra special Christmas touches. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE! Contact me at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or on Facebook and let’s get planning!
Images copyright Disney.
Latest posts by Melissa Roden (see all)
- When Can I Book Tickets for This Year’s Halloween and Christmas Parties? - February 18, 2018
- 11 Exciting New Treats Added to the Menus at Walt Disney World - February 18, 2018
- 4 Things We Learned About Disneyland’s Pixar Pier This Week - February 17, 2018